Our first journaling class projects included making background pages with paints and credit cards. We also got hooked on making stickers using packing tape and magazines. Sooo much fun making those!
To get started making some backgrounds for your journal, follow these steps:
- Blank journal or other book
- Acrylic paints
- Old credit/gift card
- Baby wipes or paper towels
HOW TO MAKE THIS
Super simple but it looks really cool!
- Squirt a few drops of acrylic paint anywhere on the page
- Drag the credit card across the paint and the book pages - straight line, zig-zag, curvy - have fun with the process.
- Between colors, wipe any excess paint off of the card with a paper towel or baby wipe. Be sure to smoosh all the paint off the card on to your pages before wiping (never waste good paint, right?)
|Donna adding colors to her pages|
|Alicia's making waves of blue|
- Drop another color on to the page and repeat the swiping over the pages. Do this with as many colors as you like, even criss-crossing colors over each other. In the image below, I first wrote words on the pages using a white crayon, placed post-it notes at various places, then swiped the paint over the pages. It took a minute for the paint to dry before I removed the post-its and used a baby wipe to remove the paint from the crayon areas. A pretty place to doodle and add images, like the packing tape stickers!
Try making this next project and see if you don't get hooked on the magic!
|Donna's blue floral dress sticker|
- Magazines or books with pictures (images printed on thinner paper seemed to work best)
- Bowl of water
- Packing tape
- Old credit/gift card
- Find an image that you like in a magazine. Bold colors with lots of contrast look wonderful!
- Carefully lay a strip of packing tape over the image, just past the edges of the picture. If the image is too large for one strip of tape, overlap a second strip slightly over the edge of the first strip.
- Use the credit card to smooth out any air bubbles from the tape.
- Place the taped image into the bowl of water and let it sit for a minute.
- Gently rub the paper image from the back of the packing tape. The paper rolls off but the image remains on the tape. Magic!
- Use glue to adhere these images on to your journal pages and envelopes. How about window clings!
Get busy and get creative!