Saturday, June 4, 2016

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!



This weekend is the Contra Costa County Fair. I have never been to this fair before but when the call for artists came up to enter projects for display and judging, I jumped on the opportunity. I entered a number of my framed photographs, a watercolor mosaic, and a couple of my poems for the fun of it, and who knows, maybe I'd win something along the way.

Yesterday, my husband and I went to the opening day of this fair. We strolled along the grounds, watching kids ride ponies and roll around on water in giant gerbil-like plastic balls (I really wanted to do that but was afraid I'd sink the ball if I got inside). We toured one building and saw the floral and food judged entries, another building that displayed children's artwork and I loved that every piece won a prize. Kids' artwork is so very clever - no restraint, no fear, just beautiful outcome. As an adult artist, I would love to tune into that childlike passion and feel the freedom to create without inhibitions.  



Next, we moved on to the arts and crafts building. Beautiful displays of watercolor paintings and collage, sculptures, quilting, and poetry. We wandered from display to display in awe of the talent in the show. 

As we walked and gawked, we came upon 12 of my entries that were judged and on display. I felt such joy seeing my pieces on exhibit amongst all the other artists works. Of the 12 pieces, 4 of them won ribbons - 2 poems, one watercolor, and one photograph! Woohooo! It was so exciting and I felt very proud to have had this acknowlegement from the judges. 


  

The 2 poems, "Life - What A Party" and "Life's Badges" are posted here on my blog.

What next? These pieces and 16 others will be entered in the Marin County Fair which opens June 30th. I just can't stop! Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment