Monday, May 2, 2016

Simply Sensational Starfish, She Shrieked!


I just love jewelry and seashore stuff. Wanting to combine these two, and needing something new to wear this summer, I happened upon these adorable rhinestone starfish connectors at my local craft store. 

Ideas nearly always hit me when I least expect them, and usually when I'm at the craft store looking for something in particular. My eyes wander just past the particular and land on something else. Those clever craft stores see me coming and place all their goodies right where I'll see them, and sometimes in places I have to get down and dig through!

To make these oceanic beauties, here's what you will need:

Materials


  • 2 packages of a set of 3 starfish connectors
  • 12 silver-toned jump rings
  • 2 pair of silver-toned toggle clasps
  • 1 package of silver-toned chain for the necklace
  • 2 pairs of pliers
  • 2 margarita's (just checking to see if you're paying attention!)


How To Make This

Bracelet

  • Use the pliers to open the jump rings, twisting one half of the jump ring opening towards you and twisting the other half away from you. Don't pull them straight apart because this weakens the link.
  • Link one of the toggle clasps to a starfish connector with a jump ring and twist the ring closed.
  • Join that starfish connector to another connector using a jump ring and twist the ring closed.
  • Continue linking connectors until you have enough to go almost all the way around your wrist. Keep in mind that adding the final toggle clasp will add a bit more length. I used 5 starfish connectors plus the clasp which then measured about 7 1/2 inches in length. Plenty of room to allow the starfish to dance freely around my wrist!
  • Link the final toggle clasp to the other end of the bracelet using the last jump ring and close it.


Necklace

  • Determine how long you want your necklace to hang down. I have mine at about 22 inches.
  • Cut two even lengths of chain to your desired size (11 inches each piece, in my case).
  • TIP: You can choose to use a toggle clasp or not. If you make the necklace long enough to go over your head, you don't have to cut the chain into two lengths nor use the clasp. I chose to make a longer necklace and use the clasp.
  • Open 2 jump rings and join them to each side of the starfish connector.
  • Slip the ends of the chain onto the open jump rings and twist closed.
  • If adding a toggle clasp, open two more jump rings, connect them to the chain and toggles, and twist the rings closed.

Be prepared to be stopped on the street when wearing your new beachy-keen jewelry! It's dazzling, it's fun, it's so you!



No comments:

Post a Comment