Monday, March 14, 2016

Putting All Your Eggs In One Basket



With Easter just around the corner, I challenged my craft class students to come up with some plastic egg decorating ideas to make in just one hour. Sandy drizzled white glue over the surface of the eggs, then coated them with mountains of glitter. With a little shake, the design was revealed!  
Sandra (we have several Sandy's in the class!) took the project to another level by making a wreath out of rolled up newspapers, wrapping it with a white trash bag and gluing her eggs around the ring.

I think the students did an egg-ceptional job! 


For my eggs, I tried gluing and glittering in 3 ways. . .
First was by using a glue with built-in glitter. It looked fine at the start but then I noticed that some of the glue slowly sagged down the egg, not keeping my original design. I had to keep pushing several of the dots back into place with a toothpick. Plus, it took all day to dry.  After drying, the dots were flat, not bulging like when I first applied the glue.  Still kinda cute.    My overall rating: So-so.  
Dotting the eggs

Like watching paint dry....
Finally dried! 


In my second round, I used good old white glue. Without laying it on too thick, this glue seemed to work well and only took an hour to dry. Nice! 


In my final experiment, I used a low temperature glue gun. I liked the more instant drying time and it was mostly easy applying the glue. I had to start a line of glue, quickly put down the glue gun, pour on the glitter, tap it off, and then pick up gluing where I left off, and repeat these steps until the design was complete. Still, this glue gun method was the winner for me and I'm going to keep making more this way.
Egg-DORABLE!


You may be wondering, as was I, what am I going to do with all those glamorous, glittery eggs. They're much too pretty to hide away until next year, right? My mind was reeling with ideas but what what I finally decided to do is to separate the eggs in half and re-purpose them into two different decorations. The "smaller" half became tiny teacups and the "larger" half became mushroom caps.  Egg-cellent!



Try your hand at non-traditional egg decorating. Happy Easter! 





No comments:

Post a Comment